- Manipulating is defined as taking control of a situation or orchestrating things to your own benefit, or moving with the hands.
- If you trick someone into believing that something is his idea when it is really your idea, this is an example of manipulating the person into doing things your way.
- When the doctor moves your hand around to determine if it is broken, this is an example of a time where the doctor is manipulating your hand.
Variant of manipulate
transitive verb manipulated, manipulating
- to work, operate, or treat with or as with the hand or hands; handle or use, esp. with skill
- to manage or control artfully or by shrewd use of influence, often in an unfair or fraudulent way: to manipulate an election by bribing the voters
- to falsify (figures, accounts, etc.) for one's own purposes or profit; rig
- to cause (prices of stock, etc.) to fall or rise by wash sales, matched orders, etc.
Origin: back-formation ; from manipulation