- The definition of merchandising is the act of promoting someone or something for sale in a retail store or retail setting.
- An example of merchandising is what a publicist does for a new movie.
- An example of merchandising is action figures created of movie characters to help promote and profit from a new movie.
that part of marketing involved with promoting sales of merchandise, as by consideration of the most effective means of selecting, pricing, displaying, and advertising items for sale in a retail store
- The promotion of merchandise sales, as by coordinating production and marketing and developing advertising, display, and sales strategies.
- The sale of merchandise in connection with an established brand, such as a sports team or a film.
- Present participle of merchandise.
Variant of merchandise
- things bought and sold; goods; commodities; wares
- Obsolete buying and selling; trade
Origin of merchandiseMiddle English marchandise ; from Old French ; from marchant: see merchant