- Manipulate is defined as to move, arrange or control something in a skilled manner.
- An example of manipulate is an expert flower arranger moving flowers around until they create the perfect design.
- An example of manipulate is creating an artificial price on a stock in order to make a fast profit.
Two women manipulate flowers to form a pleasing arrangment.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to work, operate, or treat with or as with the hand or hands; handle or use, esp. with skill
- to manage or control artfully or by shrewd use of influence, often in an unfair or fraudulent way: to manipulate an election by bribing the voters
- to falsify (figures, accounts, etc.) for one's own purposes or profit; rig
- to cause (prices of stock, etc.) to fall or rise by wash sales, matched orders, etc.
Origin: back-form. from manipulation
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb ma·nip·u·lat·ed, ma·nip·u·lat·ing, ma·nip·u·lates
- To move, arrange, operate, or control by the hands or by mechanical means, especially in a skillful manner: She manipulated the lights to get just the effect she wanted.
- To influence or manage shrewdly or deviously: He manipulated public opinion in his favor.
- To tamper with or falsify for personal gain: tried to manipulate stock prices.
- Medicine To handle and move in an examination or for therapeutic purposes: manipulate a joint; manipulate the position of a fetus during delivery.
Origin: Back-formation from manipulation.
- ma·nipˌu·la·bilˈi·ty noun
- ma·nipˈu·latˌa·ble adjective
- ma·nipˈu·laˌtor noun
- ma·nipˈu·la·toˌry adjective
manipulate - Business Definition
- To cause a security to sell at an artificial price. Although investment bankers are permitted to manipulate temporarily the stock they underwrite, most other forms of manipulation are illegal.
- To falsify something: Someone at the company manipulated the financial data in order to inflate profits.
- To influence to one's advantage: The employee manipulated his supervisor in order to gain a promotion.
manipulate - Investment & Finance Definition
manipulate - Medical Definition