- The definition of a caress is a soft, gentle and loving touch.
When a mother strokes her babies cheek, this is an example of a caress.
- To caress is to stroke gently and lovingly.
When you gently stroke someones cheek, this is an example of a caress.
A woman caressing her cat.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to touch or stroke lovingly or gently; also, to embrace or kiss: often used figuratively, as of a voice or music
- to treat kindly or affectionately
Origin: French caresser ; from Italian carezzare; ultimately ; from Classical Latin carus, dear: see charity
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- To touch or stroke in an affectionate or loving manner.
- To touch or move as if with a caress: soft music that caressed the ears.
- To treat fondly, kindly, or favorably; cherish.
Origin: French caresse, from Italian carezza, from caro, dear, from Latin cārus; see kā- in Indo-European roots.
- ca·ressˈer noun
- ca·ressˈing·ly adverb
- ca·resˈsive adjective