- The definition of a flirt is a person who habitually behaves in a way designed to be attracting, interesting and engaging to someone in whom they have a romantic interest.
An example of a flirt is a guy who often behaves in a coy and suggestive manner to lots of girls.
- To flirt is defined as to behave in a way to be romantically appealing to someone or to dabble with an idea or with participating in something, but not commit.
- An example of flirt is a girl who bats her eyes and who suggestively touches the arm of a guy, giggling at his jokes.
- To flirt is to casually consider joining a club but not to every really commit.
A woman flirts at a picnic.
flirt definition by Webster's New World
- Now Rare to toss or flick quickly
- to move jerkily back and forth: the bird flirted its tail
Origin: earlier flert, flurt ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Old French fleureter, to touch lightly, literally , move from flower to flower ; from fleur, flower
- to move jerkily or unevenly
- to pay amorous attention to someone without serious intentions or emotional commitment; play at love
- to trifle or toy: to flirt with an idea
- a quick, jerky movement; flutter
- a person who flirts with others
flirt definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb flirt·ed, flirt·ing, flirts verb, intransitive
- To make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.
- To deal playfully, triflingly, or superficially with: flirt with danger.
- To move abruptly or jerkily.
- To toss or flip suddenly.
- To move quickly.
- One given to flirting.
- An abrupt jerking movement.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- flirtˈy adjective