- The definition of amorous is someone or something indicating affection or desire, especially of a sexual nature.
A passionate embrace is an example of an amorous embrace.
An amorous couple.
- full of love or fond of making love
- in love; enamored or fond (of)
- full of or showing love or sexual desire: amorous words
- of sexual love or lovemaking
Origin of amorousMiddle English ; from Old French amoureus ; from Late Latin amorosus, loving ; from Classical Latin amor, love ; from amare, to love
- Full of or strongly disposed to romantic love.
- Indicative of love or sexual desire: an amorous glance.
- Of or associated with love: an amorous poem.
- Being in love; enamored: He had been amorous of her since the day they met.
Origin of amorousMiddle English, from Old French amoureus, from Medieval Latin amōrōsus, from Latin amor, love, from amāre, to love.
(comparative more amorous, superlative most amorous)
- Inclined or having a propensity to love, or to sexual enjoyment
- an amorous disposition.
- We were both feeling amorous so the inevitable happened.
- Indicating love or sexual desire.
- She kept making these amorous suggestions.
- Of or relating to, or produced by, love.
- She read me an amorous poem.
- (dated) Affected with love; in love; enamored.
- He had been amorous of her since schooldays.