- The definition of a trifle is a small amount of something or is something of little importance, or a dessert consisting of layers of sponge cake, jelly and cream.
- An example of trifle is a matter that is not very important and that doesn't merit a lot of consideration.
- An example of trifle is a dessert with wine soaked spongecake, strawberry jelly and whipped cream.
- Trifle is defined as to treat someone without respect, or to waste time playing or doing silly and frivolous things.
- An example of trifle is when a man treats a woman without respect.
- An example of trifle is when you sit around gossiping all day.
A delicious trifle desert.
trifle definition by Webster's New World
- something of little value or importance; trivial thing, idea, etc.; paltry matter
- a small amount of money
- a small amount or degree; bit
- esp. in England, a dessert consisting of spongecake soaked in wine, spread with jam, and covered with custard, whipped cream, etc.
- a kind of pewter of medium hardness
- utensils made of this
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French trufle, mockery, diminutive of truffe, deception
- to talk or act jokingly, mockingly, etc.; deal lightly: not a person to trifle with
- to play or toy (with something)
- to play fast and loose (with a person's affections); dally
- trifler noun
trifle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something of little importance or value.
- A small amount; a jot.
- A dessert typically consisting of plain or sponge cake soaked in sherry, rum, or brandy and topped with layers of jam or jelly, custard, and whipped cream.
- a. A moderately hard variety of pewter.b. trifles Utensils made from this variety of pewter.
- To deal with something as if it were of little significance or value.
- To act, perform, or speak with little seriousness or purpose; jest.
- To play or toy with something: Don't trifle with my affections. See Synonyms at flirt.
Origin: Middle English trufle, trifle, from Old French trufle, mockery, diminutive of truffe, deception.
- triˈfler noun
trifle - Phrases/Idioms