- The definition of a trifecta, also called a triple, is type of bet in which someone wins if they correctly guess the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of a race.
An example of a trifecta is naming all three top finishers of a horse race.
a bet or betting procedure in which one wins if one correctly picks the first, second, and third place finishers in a race
Origin of trifectatri- + (per)fecta
- A system of betting in which the bettor must pick the first three winners in the correct sequence. Also called triple.
- A set or combination of three things: “the media's portrayal of the moral trifecta of sex, violence, and profanity” (Gregory Stevenson).
Origin of trifectatri– + (per)fecta.
- (US, Australia, New Zealand) A bet in which the bettor must select the first three placegetters of a race in the order in which they finish.
- (US, Australia, New Zealand) The attainment of three important achievements, qualities, etc.
- (US, by extension) A set of three related things, often things that cause problems.
From tri- + (per)fecta.