Baubles on a toy jester's hat.
The definition of a bauble is a showy ornament or decoration of little value.
An example of a bauble is the colored bell that dangles from a jester's hat.
- a showy but worthless or useless thing; trinket, trifle, etc.
- Archaic a jester's baton with an ornament at the end
Origin of baubleMiddle English babel from Old French baubel, belbel, probably reduplicated, reduplication of bel from Classical Latin bellus, pretty
- A showy, often inexpensive ornament, especially a piece of jewelry; a trinket.
- A mock scepter carried by a court jester.
- A shiny, spherical ornament, usually made of glass, used to decorate a Christmas tree.
Origin of baubleMiddle English babel from Old French plaything