Variant of trifle
- something of little value or importance; trivial thing, idea, etc.; paltry matter
- a small amount of money
- a small amount or degree; bit
- esp. in England, a dessert consisting of spongecake soaked in wine, spread with jam, and covered with custard, whipped cream, etc.
- a kind of pewter of medium hardness
- utensils made of this
Origin: ME < OFr trufle, mockery, dim. of truffe, deception
- to talk or act jokingly, mockingly, etc.; deal lightly: not a person to trifle with
- to play or toy (with something)
- to play fast and loose (with a person's affections); dally
- trifler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.