- Shampoo is defined as a special soap used to wash the hair, or is an act of using a special sudsy soap to clean someone or something.
- Pert Plus is an example of a shampoo.
- When you use a special soap to lather up your dog and clean him, this is an example of a shampoo for your dog.
- Shampoo is when you use a sudsy soap to lather something up to clean it and then rinse the soap out.
Lathering up your puppy with a sudsy soap and then washing him clean is an example of a time when you shampoo your dog.
A woman uses shampoo to wash her hair.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Obsolete to massage
- to wash (the hair and scalp), esp. with a shampoo
- to wash the hair and scalp of
- to clean or wash (a rug, upholstery, etc.) with a shampoo
Origin: Hindi chāmpo, imperative of chāmpnā, to press, knead, shampoo
- the act of washing hair, a rug, etc.
- a cleaning preparation, esp. one in liquid form that produces suds
- shampooer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. sham·poos
- Any of various liquid or cream preparations of soap or detergent used to wash the hair and scalp.
- Any of various cleaning agents for rugs, upholstery, or cars.
- The act or process of washing or cleaning with shampoo.
Origin: From Hindi cāṁpō, imperative of cāṁpnā, to press.
- sham·pooˈer noun