A woman uses shampoo to wash her hair.
- Shampoo is defined as a special soap used to wash the hair, or is an act of using a special sudsy soap to clean someone or something.
- Pert Plus is an example of a shampoo.
- When you use a special soap to lather up your dog and clean him, this is an example of a shampoo for your dog.
- Shampoo is when you use a sudsy soap to lather something up to clean it and then rinse the soap out.
Lathering up your puppy with a sudsy soap and then washing him clean is an example of a time when you shampoo your dog.
transitive verb-·pooed′, -·poo′ing
- Obs. to massage
- to wash (the hair and scalp), esp. with a shampoo
- to wash the hair and scalp of
- to clean or wash (a rug, upholstery, etc.) with a shampoo
Origin of shampooHindi ch?mpo, imperative of ch?mpn?, to press, knead, shampoo
- the act of washing hair, a rug, etc.
- a cleaning preparation, esp. one in liquid form that produces suds
- Any of various liquid or cream preparations of soap or detergent used to wash the hair and scalp.
- Any of various cleaning agents for rugs, upholstery, or cars.
- The act or process of washing or cleaning with shampoo.
tr. & intr.v.sham·pooed, sham·poo·ing, sham·poos
Origin of shampooFrom Hindi cā&mdot;pō imperative of cā&mdot;pnā to press, knead, shampoo akin to Prakrit ca&mlowdot;paï akin to cappaï he presses ; see chapati.
- A traditional Indian and Persian body massage given after pouring warm water over the body and rubbing it with extracts from herbs.
- A commercial liquid soap product for washing hair or other fibres/fibers, such as carpets.
- An instance of washing the hair or other fibres with shampoo.
- I'm going to give the carpet a shampoo.
- (humorous, slang) Champagne (wine).
(third-person singular simple present shampoos, present participle shampooing, simple past and past participle shampooed)
- (intransitive) To wash one's own hair with shampoo.
- My neat-freak of a friend has been compulsively shampooing for every bath he has taken.
- To wash (i.e. the hair, carpet, etc.) with shampoo.
- To press or knead the whole surface of the body of (a person), and at the same time to stretch the limbs and joints, in connection with the hot bath.