- also sul′tan·ess
- the wife of a sultan
- the mother, sister, or daughter of a sultan
- a mistress, esp. of a king, prince, etc.
- a small, white, seedless grape used for raisins and in wine making
- Brit. such a raisin
Origin of sultanaItalian from Arabic sul??na, feminine of sul??n: see sultan
- a. The wife, mother, sister, or daughter of a sultan.b. The mistress of a sultan.
- a. Any of various green seedless grapes, especially the Thompson seedless, used in producing raisins and a white wine.b. The often yellow raisin made from this grape.
Origin of sultanaItalian feminine of sultano sultan from Arabic sul&tlowdot;ān ; see sultan .
NounSee also: sultÄna