- The definition of a sheik is a leader of an Arabian family or village, or an official in the Muslim religion.
An example of a sheik is a rich and powerful man who is the leader of an Arab tribe and who everyone in the village listens to and obeys.
sheik definition by Webster's New World
- the chief of an Arab family, tribe, or village
- an official in the Muslim religious organization
Origin: after E. M. Hull's novel, The Sheik (1921)Slang a masterful man to whom women are irresistibly attracted
Origin: Arabic shaikh, literally , old man ; from shākha, to grow old
sheik definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Islam a. A religious official.b. A leader of an Arab family or village.c. Used as a form of address for such an official or leader.
- sheik Slang A romantically alluring man.
Origin: Arabic šayḫ, old man, chief, from šāḫa, to grow old; see śyḫ in Semitic roots.