An example of a sheik is a rich and powerful man who is the leader of an Arab tribe and who everyone in the village listens to and obeys.
- the chief of an Arab family, tribe, or village
- a Muslim religious or community leader
Origin of sheik< The Sheik, novel (1921) by E. M. Hull (1880-1947), Brit novelistSlang a masterful man to whom women are irresistibly attracted
Origin of sheikArabic shaikh, literally , old man ; from sh?kha, to grow old
- The leader of an Arab village, family or small tribe.
- (colloquial) An Islamic religious clergy; the leader of an Islamic religious order.
- (some Arab Gulf countries) An official title for members of the royal family as well as some prominent families.
- (1920s) A romantic lover. (from the 1921 film The Sheikh)
- (slang) An Arab, especially one dressed in traditional clothing.
- An honorific for specialists in spirituality.
The use for a religious leader is colloquial as a means of respect. There is no official title.
From Arabic Ø´ÙŠØ® (Å¡aykh), from Ø´Ø§Ø® (Å¡Äkha, “to age, grow old").