- Obs. a foolish person
- a vain, affected man who pays too much attention to his clothes, appearance, etc.; dandy
Origin of fopMiddle English foppe, a fool, probably akin to fob
Fraternal Order of Police
A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy.
Origin of fopMiddle English fool probably akin to Middle English fob trickster, cheat ; see fob 2.
From Middle English foppe, fobbe (“fop, fool”). Akin to German foppen (“to jeer”)
- Fraternal Order of Police
- fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva
- (travel, aviation) form of payment
- (finance) free of payment, delivery of securities with no corresponding payment of funds