- The definition of a prig is a person who is very smug in demonstrating how and why they follow their moral behaviors.
An example of a prig is someone who is annoying when explaining why they do something a certain way.
prig definition by Webster's New World
- a person who is annoyingly smug in his or her moral behavior, attitudes, etc.
- a person who is annoyingly fastidious about rules, small details, etc.
Origin: ; from 16th-c. cant ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Origin: uncertain or unknown; perhaps akin to prig
prig definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person who demonstrates an exaggerated conformity or propriety, especially in an irritatingly arrogant or smug manner.
- Chiefly British A petty thief or pickpocket.
- Archaic A conceited dandy; a fop.
Origin: Origin unknown.
- prigˈger·y noun
- prigˈgish adjective
- prigˈgish·ly adverb
- prigˈgish·ness noun