- Dude is defined as slang for a man or a boy.
An example of dude is how one male surfer may refer to another male surfer.
- a man too much concerned with his clothes and appearance; dandy; fop
- West, Slang a city fellow or tourist, esp. an Easterner who is vacationing on a ranch
- Slang any man or boy
Origin of dude; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
transitive verbduded, duding
- to dress up, esp. in showy or flashy clothes
- to add showy ornamentation to
- Informal An Easterner or city person who vacations on a ranch in the West.
- Informal A man who is very fancy or sharp in dress and demeanor.
- Slang a. A man; a fellow.b. A person of either sex.
transitive verbdud·ed, dud·ing, dudes Slang
Origin of dudeOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present dudes, present participle duding, simple past and past participle duded)
- to address someone with the term of address dude
Of unknown origin. First attested in 1883 as a New York City slang term of contempt for a "fastidious man, fop". Possibly related to dawdle, to German Low German Dudeldop, Dudendop (“fool, dunce”), from Middle Low German dudendop (“cuckold”, “simpleton”), or to Saterland Frisian Duddigegen (“idiot”).