- The definition of dandy is something that is excellent.
When you are having a good day, this is an example of a time when you are feeling dandy.
- Dandy is defined as a very well-dressed, well-mannered man.
An example of a dandy is a man wearing a suit, shirt, tie, polished shoes and a hat.
dandy definition by Webster's New World
- a man who pays too much attention to his clothes and appearance; fop
- a meticulously well-dressed man
- a kind of British yawl or ketch
- Informal something very good or first-rate
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps playful Scottish form of Andy ; from Andrew: see merry-andrew
dandy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. dan·dies
- A man who affects extreme elegance in clothes and manners; a fop.
- Something very good or agreeable.
- Nautical See yawl.
- Suggestive of or attired like a dandy; foppish.
- Fine; good.
Origin: Perhaps short for jack-a-dandy, fop.
- danˈdi·ly adverb
- danˈdy·ish adjective
- danˈdy·ish·ly adverb
- danˈdy·ism noun