- The definition of splendid is gorgeous or wonderful.
An example of splendid is a magnificent wedding celebration.
splendid definition by Webster's New World
- having or showing splendor; specif.,
- shining; lustrous; brilliant
- magnificent; gorgeous
- worthy of high praise; grand; glorious; illustrious: a splendid accomplishment
- Informal very good; excellent; fine: splendid weather
Origin: Classical Latin splendidus ; from splendere, to shine ; from Indo-European an unverified form splend- ; from base an unverified form (s)p(h)el-, to gleam, shine from source Sanskrit sphulinga, a spark, Classical Greek splēndos, ashes, German flink, lively
splendid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Brilliant with light or color; radiant: a splendid field of poppies.
- Imposing by reason of showiness or grandeur; magnificent: splendid costumes.
- Admired by many; illustrious: splendid achievements.
- Admirable for boldness or purity; surpassing: splendid character.
- Very good or satisfying; praiseworthy: a splendid performance in the examinations.
Origin: Latin splendidus, from splendēre, to shine.
- splenˈdid·ly adverb
- splenˈdid·ness noun