Michelangelo's David is magnificent.
An example of magnificent are the works of artists Picasso or Michelangelo.
- beautiful in a grand or stately way; rich or sumptuous, as in construction, decoration, form, etc.
- exalted: said of ideas, etc., and also of some former rulers, as Lorenzo the Magnificent
- exceptionally good; excellent
Origin of magnificentOld French from Late Latin magnificens: see magnificence
- Splendid in appearance; grand: a magnificent palace. See Synonyms at grand.
- Grand or noble in thought or accomplishment; exalted: a magnificent notion.
- Outstanding of its kind; excellent: a magnificent place for sailing.
Origin of magnificentMiddle English from Old French from magnificence splendor from Latin magnificentia from magnificent- comparative and superlative stem of magnificus magnificent ; see magnific .
(comparative more magnificent, superlative most magnificent)