- The definition of magnificent is something that is exceptional or amazing in appearance.
An example of magnificent are the works of artists Picasso or Michelangelo.
Michelangelo's David is magnificent.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- beautiful in a grand or stately way; rich or sumptuous, as in construction, decoration, form, etc.
- exalted: said of ideas, etc., and also of some former rulers, as Lorenzo the Magnificent
- Informal exceptionally good; excellent
Origin: OFr from Late Latin magnificens: see magnificence
- magnificently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Splendid in appearance; grand: a magnificent palace.
- Grand or noble in thought or deed; exalted.
- Outstanding of its kind; superlative: a magnificent place for sailing. See Synonyms at grand.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from magnificence, splendor, from Latin magnificentia, from , magnificent- comparative and superlative stem of magnificus, magnificent; see magnific.
- mag·nifˈi·cent·ly adverb