- the hymn of the Virgin Mary in Luke 1:46-55, beginning (in Latin) Magnificat anima mea Dominum, “My soul magnifies the Lord”
- any musical setting for this
- [m-] any song, poem, or hymn of praise
Origin of MagnificatClassical Latin
- The canticle beginning Magnificat anima mea Dominum (“My soul doth magnify the Lord”).
- A musical setting of this canticle.
Origin of MagnificatMiddle English from Medieval Latin from Latin magnificat it magnifies third person sing. present tense of magnificāre to magnify, extol ; see magnify .