- The definition of exceptional is someone or something that is high above average or someone who needs special educational help because of mental or physical challenges.
- An example of exceptional is an IQ of 140.
- An example of exceptional is a mentally handicapped child who needs a tutor.
exceptional definition by Webster's New World
- constituting, or occurring as, an exception; not ordinary or average; esp., much above average in quality, ability, etc.: exceptional talents
- ☆ needing special attention or presenting a special problem, as in education, because mentally gifted or, esp., because mentally, physically, or emotionally handicapped
exceptional definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Being an exception; uncommon.
- Well above average; extraordinary: an exceptional memory. See Usage Note at exceptionable.
- Deviating widely from a norm, as of physical or mental ability: special educational provisions for exceptional children.
- ex·cepˌtion·alˈi·ty, ex·cepˈtion·al·ness noun
- ex·cepˈtion·al·ly adverb