Olympian[ō lim′pē ən, ə-]
- Gr. Myth. any of the twelve major gods supposed to live on the slopes of Mount Olympus
- a person born in Olympia
- any participant in the ancient or modern Olympic games
Origin of Olympian; from Late Latin Olympianus, Olympic
- of Olympia or Mount Olympus
- like an Olympian god; exalted; celestial; majestic
- designating or of the Olympic games of ancient Greece
- Greek Mythology Of or relating to the greater gods and goddesses of the ancient Greek pantheon, whose abode was Mount Olympus.
- a. Majestic in manner.b. Superior to mundane affairs.c. Surpassing all others in scope and effect: Olympian efforts were mounted to keep the city from going bankrupt.
- Of or relating to the Olympic Games.
- Of or relating to the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants.
- Greek Mythology One of the 12 major gods and goddesses inhabiting Mount Olympus.
- One who is superior to all others: an intellectual Olympian.
- A contestant in either the ancient or the modern Olympic Games.
- A native or inhabitant of the region of Olympia in Greece.