A prodigious wave.
- A tall, huge wave that comes rolling into shore is an example of something prodigious.
- An example of someone prodigious is a child who is gifted at playing piano at a young age.
- wonderful; amazing
- of great size, power, extent, etc.; enormous; huge
- Obs. portentous
Origin of prodigiousClassical Latin prodigiosus, marvelous from prodigium: see prodigy
- Impressively great in size, force, or extent; enormous: a prodigious storm.
- Extraordinary; marvelous: a prodigious talent.
- Obsolete Portentous; ominous.
Origin of prodigiousLatin prōdigiōsus portentous, monstrous from prōdigium omen
(comparative more prodigious, superlative most prodigious)