- The definition of immense is something that is extremely large.
An example of immense is the cooking talent of chef Wolfgang Puck.
The Grand Canyon is immense.
immense definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete unmeasured; limitless; infinite
- very large; vast; huge
- Slang very good; excellent
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin immensus ; from in-, not plush mensus, past participle of metiri, to measure
immense definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Extremely large; huge.
- Of boundless or immeasurable size or extent. See Synonyms at enormous.
- Informal Surpassingly good; excellent.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin immēnsus : in-, not; see in-1 + mēnsus, past participle of mētīrī, to measure; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots.
- im·menseˈly adverb
- im·menseˈness noun