- The definition of immense is something that is extremely large.
An example of immense is the cooking talent of chef Wolfgang Puck.
The Grand Canyon is immense.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Obsolete unmeasured; limitless; infinite
- very large; vast; huge
- Slang very good; excellent
Origin: Fr from Classical Latin immensus from in-, not plush mensus, past participle of metiri, to measure
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Extremely large; huge.
- Of boundless or immeasurable size or extent. See Synonyms at enormous.
- Informal Surpassingly good; excellent.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin immēnsus : in-, not; see in-1 + mēnsus, past participle of mētīrī, to measure; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots.
- im·menseˈly adverb
- im·menseˈness noun