- The definition of immense is something that is extremely large.
An example of immense is The Grand Canyon.
The Grand Canyon is immense.
- Obsolete unmeasured; limitless; infinite
- very large; vast; huge
- Slang very good; excellent
Origin of immenseFrench ; from Classical Latin immensus ; from in-, not + mensus, past participle of metiri, to measure
- Very great in size, extent, or amount: an immense cloud.
- Of great scope or consequence: immense difficulty. See Synonyms at enormous.
Origin of immenseMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin immēnsus : in-, not; see in–1 + mēnsus, past participle of mētīrī, to measure; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more immense, superlative most immense)
From Middle French immense, from Latin immensus, from in- (“not”) + mensus (“measured”).