miniature[min′ē ə c̸hər, min′i c̸hər]
- Miniature is defined as much smaller in scale or size.
An example of miniature used as an adjective is the phrase "miniature golf" which means a golf course that is much smaller than a regular one.
- The definition of a miniature is a copy of something that is much smaller than the original.
An example of a miniature is a tiny silver replica of a horse.
Teenagers playing miniature golf.
- a small painting or illuminated letter, as in a medieval manuscript
- a very small painting, esp. a portrait, done on ivory, vellum, etc.
- the art of making such paintings
- a copy or model on a very small scale
Origin of miniatureItalian miniatura, rubrication, illumination of manuscripts ; from Medieval Latin ; from past participle of Classical Latin miniare, to paint red ; from minium, red lead (see minium): sense influenced, influence by Classical Latin minutus, minute
- a. A copy or model that represents or reproduces something in a greatly reduced size.b. Something small of its class.
- a. A small painting executed with great detail, often on a surface such as ivory or vellum.b. A small portrait, picture, or decorative letter on an illuminated manuscript.c. The art of painting miniatures.
Origin of miniatureItalian miniatura, illumination of manuscripts, small painting, from miniare, to illuminate, from Latin miniāre, to color red, from minium, red lead.
- Greatly diminished size or form; reduced scale.
- A small version of something; a model of reduced scale.
- There was a miniature of a whaling ship in a glass bottle over the mantlepiece.
- A small, highly detailed painting, a portrait miniature.
- The art of painting such highly detailed miniature works.
- An illustration in an illuminated manuscript.
- A musical composition which is short in duration.
- Sacha composed a miniature for strings as a final project at the conservatory.
- (gaming) A token in a game representing a unit or character.
- Jack had dozens of miniatures of Napoleonic footsoldiers painted in detailed period regalia for his wargames.
- Lettering in red; rubric distinction.
- A particular feature or trait.
(comparative more miniature, superlative most miniature)
- Smaller than normal.
- I find miniature dogs annoying; they seem to yap more than full-size dogs.