- Miniature is defined as much smaller in scale or size.
An example of miniature used as an adjective is the phrase "miniature golf" which means a golf course that is much smaller than a regular one.
- The definition of a miniature is a copy of something that is much smaller than the original.
An example of a miniature is a tiny silver replica of a horse.
Teenagers playing miniature golf.
miniature definition by Webster's New World
- a small painting or illuminated letter, as in a medieval manuscript
- a very small painting, esp. a portrait, done on ivory, vellum, etc.
- the art of making such paintings
- a copy or model on a very small scale
Origin: Italian miniatura, rubrication, illumination of manuscripts ; from Midieval Latin ; from past participle of Classical Latin miniare, to paint red ; from minium, red lead (see minium): sense influenced, influence by Classical Latin minutus, minute
miniature definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A copy or model that represents or reproduces something in a greatly reduced size.b. Something small of its class.
- a. A small painting executed with great detail, often on a surface such as ivory or vellum.b. A small portrait, picture, or decorative letter on an illuminated manuscript.c. The art of painting miniatures.
Origin: Italian miniatura, illumination of manuscripts, small painting, from miniare, to illuminate, from Latin miniāre, to color red, from minium, red lead.
- minˈi·a·turˌist noun
miniature - Phrases/Idioms