- The definition of an illumination is the act or process of making something clearer or brighter or a device for doing so.
- An example of an illumination is an explanation.
- An example of an illumination is a bright porch lamp.
This porch light provides illumination.
illumination definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an illuminating or being illuminated; specif.,
- a lighting up; supplying of light
- clarification; explanation
- enlightenment; instruction
- decoration with lights
- decoration of manuscripts with designs, colors, etc.
- the intensity of light per unit of area
- the designs, tracings, etc. used in decorating manuscripts
- decorative lighting, as for a city
Origin: Middle English illumynacyon ; from Old French illumination ; from Late Latin illuminatio
illumination definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of illuminating.b. The state of being illuminated.
- A source of light.
- Decorative lighting.
- Spiritual or intellectual enlightenment.
- Clarification; elucidation.
- a. The art or act of decorating a text, page, or initial letter with ornamental designs, miniatures, or lettering.b. An example of this art.
- Physics The luminous flux per unit area at any point on a surface exposed to incident light. Also called illuminance.