- a giving light or being lighted; illumination; ignition
- the distribution of light and shade, as in a painting
- the art, practice, or manner of using and arranging lights on a stage, film or TV set, etc.
- these lights collectively
- The state of being lighted; illumination.
- a. The method or equipment used to provide artificial illumination.b. The illumination so provided.
- The act or process of igniting.
- The equipment used to provide illumination; the illumination so provided.
- The act of activating such equipment, or of igniting a flame etc.
- The process of annealing metals.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.