- The definition of an interpretation is an explanation of a view of a person, place, work, thing, etc.
An example of interpretation is a feminist perspective on a work of literature.
- the act or result of interpreting; explanation, meaning, translation, exposition, etc.
- the expression of a person's conception of a work of art, subject, etc. through acting, playing, writing, criticizing, etc.: the pianist's interpretation of the sonata
Origin of interpretationMiddle English interpretacioun ; from Old French entrepretation ; from Classical Latin interpretatio
- The act or process of interpreting.
- A result of interpreting.
- a. An explanation or conceptualization by a critic of a work of literature, painting, music, or other art form; an exegesis.b. A performer's distinctive personal version of a song, dance, piece of music, or role; a rendering.
(countable and uncountable, plural interpretations)
- (countable) An act of interpreting or explaining what is obscure; a translation; a version; a construction.
- the interpretation of a foreign language, of a dream, or of an enigma.
- (countable) A sense given by an interpreter; an exposition or explanation given; meaning .
- Commentators give various interpretations of the same passage of Scripture.
- (uncountable) The power of explaining.
- (countable) An artist's way of expressing his thought or embodying his conception of nature.
- (countable) An act or process of applying general principles or formulae to the explanation of the results obtained in special cases.
- (countable, physics) An approximation that allows aspects of a mathematical theory to be discussed in ordinary language.
- (countable, logic, model theory) An assignment of a truth value to each propositional symbol of a propositional calculus.