- The definition of an interpretation is an explanation of a view of a person, place, work, thing, etc.
An example of interpretation is a feminist perspective on a work of literature.
interpretation definition by Webster's New World
- the act or result of interpreting; explanation, meaning, translation, exposition, etc.
- the expression of a person's conception of a work of art, subject, etc. through acting, playing, writing, criticizing, etc.: the pianist's interpretation of the sonata
Origin: Middle English interpretacioun ; from Old French entrepretation ; from Classical Latin interpretatio
- interpretational adjective
interpretation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of interpreting.
- A result of interpreting.
- a. An explanation or conceptualization by a critic of a work of literature, painting, music, or other art form; an exegesis.b. A performer's distinctive personal version of a song, dance, piece of music, or role; a rendering.
- in·terˌpre·taˈtion·al adjective
interpretation - Medical Definition
- The act or process of explaining the meaning of something.
- A psychotherapist's explanation of the meaning of a patient's remarks, dreams, memories, experiences, and behavior.
- interpret verb