One student gives an explanation to his classmates.
The definition of an explanation is something that clarifies or makes clear.
An example of an explanation is telling how rain forms.
- the act of explaining
- something that explains
- the interpretation, meaning, or sense given in explaining
- a mutual defining of terms, declaration of motives, etc. to clear up a misunderstanding or settle a dispute
Origin of explanationMiddle English explanacioun ; from Classical Latin explanatio ; from past participle of explanare
- The act or process of explaining: launched into a detailed explanation.
- Something that explains: That was supposedly the explanation for their misdeeds.
- A mutual clarification of misunderstandings; a reconciliation.
- The act or process of explaining.
- The explanation was long and drawn-out.
- Something that explains, makes understandable.
- An explanation for each UFO sighting was easily found.
- (euphemistic) An excuse, apologetic justification not based on enough evidence.