- Rationale is defined as the reasoning behind a decision or something.
An example of rationale is a CEO’s explanation of why business changes are being made.
rationale definition by Webster's New World
- the fundamental reasons, or rational basis, for something
- a statement, exposition, or explanation of reasons or principles
Origin: Midieval Latin ; from Classical Latin neuter of rationalis, rational
rationale definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Fundamental reasons; the basis.
- An exposition of principles or reasons.
Origin: Late Latin ratiōnāle, from neuter of Latin ratiōnālis, rational; see rational.