- Rationale is defined as the reasoning behind a decision or something.
An example of rationale is a CEO’s explanation of why business changes are being made.
- the fundamental reasons, or rational basis, for something
- a statement, exposition, or explanation of reasons or principles
Origin: ML from L, neuter of rationalis, rational
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Fundamental reasons; the basis.
- An exposition of principles or reasons.
Origin: Late Latin ratiōnāle, from neuter of Latin ratiōnālis, rational; see rational.