- Explain is defined as to make something clear or to account for something or tell why something happened.
- An example of explain is for a teacher to show her students how to solve division problems.
- An example of explain is for a student to tell his teacher why he did not complete his homework last night.
A man explains a document to his clients.
explain definition by Webster's New World
- to make clear, plain, or understandable
- to give the meaning or interpretation of; expound
- to account for; state reasons for
Origin: Middle English explanen ; from Classical Latin explanare, to flatten ; from ex-, out plush planare, to make level ; from planus, level (see plane): spelling, spelled influenced, influence by plain
- explainable adjective
explain definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ex·plained, ex·plain·ing, ex·plains verb, transitive
- To make plain or comprehensible.
- To define; expound: We explained our plan to the committee.
- a. To offer reasons for or a cause of; justify: explain an error.b. To offer reasons for the actions, beliefs, or remarks of (oneself).
Origin: Middle English explanen, from Latin explānāre : ex-, intensive pref.; see ex- + plānus, clear; see pelə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- ex·plainˈa·ble adjective
explain - Phrases/Idioms
- to make clear what one means
- to give reasons justifying one's conduct