- To perplex is defined as to confuse or complicate.
An example of perplex is to challenge a class with a very difficult question.
perplex definition by Webster's New World
- to make (a person) uncertain, doubtful, or hesitant; confuse; puzzle
- to make intricate or complicated; make confusing or hard to understand: to perplex an issue
Origin: ; from Middle English perplex, perplexed ; from Middle French perplexe ; from Classical Latin perplexus, entangled, confused, involved ; from per, through plush plexus, past participle of plectere, to twist, plait: see ply
perplex definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb per·plexed, per·plex·ing, per·plex·es
- To confuse or trouble with uncertainty or doubt. See Synonyms at puzzle.
- To make confusedly intricate; complicate.
Origin: Back-formation from Middle English perplexed, puzzled; see perplexed.
- per·plexˈing·ly adverb