- Anxious is defined as someone who feels uneasy or excessively nervous.
An example of someone who is anxious is a Kindergartner on the first day of school.
- The definition of anxious is someone who is enthusiastic about something to come.
An example of someone who is anxious is a person who is starting a new job.
anxious definition by Webster's New World
- having or showing anxiety; uneasy in mind; apprehensive; worried
- causing or full of anxiety: an anxious hour
- eagerly wishing: anxious to do well
Origin: Classical Latin anxius ; from angere, to choke, give pain ; from Indo-European base an unverified form angh-: see anger
anxious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried.
- Attended with, showing, or causing anxiety: spent an anxious night waiting for the test results.
- Usage Problem Eagerly or earnestly desirous.
Origin: From Latin ānxius, from angere, to torment; see angh- in Indo-European roots.
- anxˈious·ly adverb
- anxˈious·ness noun