- The definition of uptight is someone who is very nervous, overly-controlled or who can't relax.
A person at a party who is constantly looking around for signs of trouble, worrying about everything instead of enjoying himself, is an example of someone who would be described as uptight.
- very tense, nervous, anxious, etc.
- overly conventional or strict
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Tense; nervous.
- Financially pressed; destitute.
- Outraged; angry.
- Rigidly conventional, as in manners, opinions, and tastes: “She sees this headlong, headstrong, plunge into worldliness as a protracted process of shucking the shame of her uptight upbringing” (James Wolcott).
- upˈtightˈness noun