- The definition of uptight is someone who is very nervous, overly-controlled or who can't relax.
A person at a party who is constantly looking around for signs of trouble, worrying about everything instead of enjoying himself, is an example of someone who would be described as uptight.
uptight definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- very tense, nervous, anxious, etc.
- overly conventional or strict
uptight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Tense; nervous.
- Financially pressed; destitute.
- Outraged; angry.
- Rigidly conventional, as in manners, opinions, and tastes: “She sees this headlong, headstrong, plunge into worldliness as a protracted process of shucking the shame of her uptight upbringing” (James Wolcott).
- upˈtightˈness noun