- The definition of uptight is someone who is very nervous, overly-controlled or who can't relax.
A person at a party who is constantly looking around for signs of trouble, worrying about everything instead of enjoying himself, is an example of someone who would be described as uptight.
- very tense, nervous, anxious, etc.
- overly conventional or strict
- Tense; nervous: was uptight about turning 50.
- Rigidly conventional, as in manners, opinions, and tastes: “[She] struck some as uptight or even prissy, a person so private she could be hard to read” (Jane Mayer and Jill Abramson).
(comparative more uptight, superlative most uptight)
- (colloquial) Excessively concerned with rules and order.
- Don't be so uptight! You won't go to jail for crossing the street against the light.
- (colloquial) Sexually repressed.
- He came from a very uptight religious background, but you wouldn't know that now!
- (colloquial) Unfriendly and rude.
- (colloquial) An uptight person.