- The definition of an uptick is a small increase or a stock transaction with a higher price than the previous transaction.
An example of an uptick is a twenty five cent increase in the minimum wage.
uptick definition by Webster's New World
- a stock transaction at a price higher than that of the preceding transaction
- an increase or upturn; rise
Origin: up- plush tick (see ticker, a)
uptick definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An increase, especially a small or incremental one: last week's uptick in interest rates.
- A transaction in a stock market security above the price of the previous transaction.
Origin: From the indication of a rise in price of a stock by a plus sign on boards above stock market stations.
uptick - Business Definition
uptick - Investment & Finance Definition
A trade that occurs at a higher price than the previous trade. To indicate that it is an uptick trade, a plus sign is displayed next to the last price where the stock traded. Short sales must be executed on upticks or zero-plus ticks.