- An example of something edgy is a metal table.
- An example of an edgy person is someone who is constantly annoyed.
- An example of an edgy person is someone with multiple tattoos and dozens of piercings.
The definition of edgy is having sharp or pointed corners, or being irritable, or being unconventional.
- having an edge or edges; sharp
- irritable; on edge
- having outlines that are too sharp: said of drawings, paintings, etc.
Origin of edgyfrom cutting edgeInformal innovative, daring, unconventional, etc.
- Nervous or irritable: The performers were edgy as they waited for the show to begin.
- Having a sharp or biting edge: an edgy wit.
- Daring, provocative, or trend-setting: an exhibition of edgy photographs; an edgy menu.
(comparative edgier, superlative edgiest)
- nervous, apprehensive
- (entertainment/advertising jargon): creatively challenging; cutting edge; leading edge
- (entertainment/advertising jargon): on the edge between acceptable and offensive; pushing the boundaries of good taste; dodgy
- (dated) irritable
- an edgy temper
- (art) Having some of the forms, such as drapery or the like, too sharply defined.
- (of a knife or blade) sharp.
edge + -y