The definition of acceptable is something that is good enough to satisfy a need.
An example of an acceptable substitute for an alcoholic beverage would be sparkling cider.
- worth accepting; satisfactory or, sometimes, merely adequate
- tolerable; bearable
- Adequate to satisfy a need, requirement, or standard; satisfactory: an acceptable excuse; acceptable behavior. See Synonyms at sufficient.
- Satisfactory but not superior; passable: The restaurant was acceptable but did not live up to its reputation. See Synonyms at average.
- ac·cept′a·bil′i·ty ac·cept′a·ble·ness
(comparative more acceptable, superlative most acceptable)
- First attested in the late 14th century.
- From Old French acceptable, from Latin acceptabilis (“worthy of acceptance”).