- worth accepting; satisfactory or, sometimes, merely adequate
- tolerable; bearable
The definition of acceptable is something that is good enough to satisfy a need.
An example of an acceptable substitute for an alcoholic beverage would be sparkling cider.
- Adequate to satisfy a need, requirement, or standard; satisfactory: an acceptable excuse; acceptable behavior. See Synonyms at sufficient.
- Satisfactory but not superior; passable: The restaurant was acceptable but did not live up to its reputation. See Synonyms at average.
- ac·cept′a·bil′i·ty ac·cept′a·ble·ness
(comparative more acceptable, superlative most acceptable)
- First attested in the late 14th century.
- From Old French acceptable, from Latin acceptabilis (“worthy of acceptance”).
- She had continued her classes and was somehow maintaining acceptable grades.
- A conference held at Constantinople sanctioned the union on terms which were rendered acceptable to the sultan; but Said Pasha, who had assisted the sultan in centralizing at Yildiz Kiosk the administration of the country, and who had become grand vizier, was a strong adherent of the policy of armed intervention by Turkey, and the consequence was his fall from office.
- The twins were healthy and acceptable weight, so they released Katie.
- The kingless state may therefore have arisen out of kingship through divisions of the royal power or through failure on the part of the leading men to agree on a head acceptable to all.
- As the number of touch points with other countries rises, so must our shared understanding of acceptable conduct.