passable[pas′ ə bəl]
- that can be passed, traveled over, or crossed
- that can be circulated; genuine, as coin
- barely satisfactory for the purpose; adequate; fair
- that can be enacted, as a proposed law
Origin: ME < MFr < passer, pass
- passableness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- That can be passed, traversed, or crossed; navigable: a passable road.
- Acceptable for general circulation: passable currency.
- Satisfactory but not outstanding; adequate: The actors gave passable performances but the singers seemed unrehearsed.
- That can be legislated: a passable bill.
- passˈa·ble·ness noun
- passˈa·bly adverb