- The definition of tolerable is able to deal with or endure.
- A day that is hot enough to be uncomfortable but not so hot you can't go outside is an example of when the weather might be described as tolerable.
- If your dinner is just OK, not very good or very bad, this is an example of when it might be described as tolerable.
- that can be tolerated; endurable
- fairly good; passable
- Informal in reasonably good health
Origin: Middle English tollerabill from Middle French tolérable from Classical Latin tolerabilis
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Capable of being tolerated; endurable.
- Fairly good; passable. See Synonyms at average.
- tolˌer·a·bilˈi·ty, tolˈer·a·ble·ness noun
- tolˈer·a·bly adverb