- The definition of sufficient is enough or as much as is needed.
An example of sufficient is when you have just enough food.
sufficient definition by Webster's New World
- as much as is needed; equal to what is specified or required; enough
- competent; well-qualified; able
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin sufficiens, present participle of sufficere: see suffice
- sufficiently adverb
sufficient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Being as much as is needed.
- Archaic Competent; qualified.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sufficiēns, sufficient-, present participle of sufficere, to suffice; see suffice.
- suf·fiˈcient·ly adverb