- The definition of abundant is something that there is plenty of or that exists in great amounts.
An example of abundant is sand at the beach or plants in a rain forest.
There is abundant sand on these hills.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- very plentiful; more than sufficient; ample
- well-supplied; rich (in something): woods abundant in game
Origin: Middle English aboundaunt ; from Old French abondaunt ; from Classical Latin present participle of abundare: see abound
- abundantly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Occurring in or marked by abundance; plentiful. See Synonyms at plentiful.
- Abounding with; rich: a region abundant in wildlife.
Origin: Middle English aboundant, from Old French abondant, from Latin abundāns, abundant-, present participle of abundāre, to overflow; see abound.
- a·bunˈdant·ly adverb