- The definition of abundance is to have a large amount of something, or to have wealth.
An example of abundance would be having a huge crop of corn for the year.
There is an abundance of corn here.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a great supply; more than sufficient quantity
- great plenty; wealth
Origin: Middle English aboundaunce ; from Old French abondaunce ; from Classical Latin abundantia ; from present participle of abundare: see abound
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A great or plentiful amount.
- Fullness to overflowing: “My thoughts . . . are from the abundance of my heart” (Thomas De Quincey).
- Affluence; wealth.
- Chemistry The amount of an isotope of an element that exists in nature, usually expressed as a percentage of the total amount of all isotopes of the element.