- The state or condition of being substantial.
Variant of substantial
- of or having substance
- real; actual; true; not imaginary
- strong; solid; firm; stout
- considerable; ample; large
- of considerable worth or value; important
- having property or possessions; wealthy
- with regard to essential elements; in substance
- Philos. of, or having the nature of, substance
Origin of substantialMiddle English substancial ; from Medieval Latin substantialis ; from Late Latin
a substantial thing: usually used in pl.