- The definition of impervious is not being able to be penetrated or not able to be hurt.
- An example of impervious is a fabric that does not allow any liquid to pass through.
- An example of impervious is a figurine made out of indestructible material.
This piece of fabric is impervious to liquid.
impervious definition by Webster's New World
- incapable of being passed through or penetrated: a fabric impervious to moisture
- not affected by: with to: impervious to pity
Origin: Classical Latin impervius: see in- and amp; pervious
impervious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Incapable of being penetrated: a material impervious to water.
- Incapable of being affected: impervious to fear.
Origin: From Latin impervius : in-, not; see in-1 + pervius, pervious; see pervious.
- im·perˈvi·ous·ly adverb
- im·perˈvi·ous·ness noun