The Impala ram, wary of predators, was skittish while drinking at the waterhole.
A horse that gets very nervous at every little sound and that jumps and runs whenever he hears a noise is an example of a horse that would be described as skittish.
- lively or playful, esp. in a coy manner
- easily frightened; jumpy: a skittish horse
- fickle or undependable
Origin of skittishME: see skit and -ish
- Moving quickly and lightly; lively.
- Restlessly active or nervous; restive.
- Undependably variable; mercurial or fickle.
- Shy; bashful.
Origin of skittishMiddle English perhaps of Scandinavian origin Old Norse skjōta to shoot ; see shoot .