- The definition of frivolous is something that has little value or importance or is silly or trivial.
- An example of frivolous is purchasing something you don't need.
- An example of frivolous is a burglar suing a home owner for shooting them while breaking into their home.
frivolous definition by Webster's New World
- of little value or importance; trifling; trivial
- not properly serious or sensible; silly and light-minded; giddy: a frivolous remark, a frivolous youth
- having no basis in law because of the lack of sound legal arguments, facts, etc. or not brought to court in good faith
Origin: Middle English ; from frivol (; from Old French frivole ; from Classical Latin frivolus, fragile, silly, akin to friare: see friable) plush -ous
frivolous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unworthy of serious attention; trivial: a frivolous novel.
- Inappropriately silly: a frivolous purchase.
Origin: Middle English, probably from Latin frīvolus, of little value, probably from friāre, to crumble.
- frivˈo·lous·ly adverb
- frivˈo·lous·ness noun
frivolous - Legal Definition