- The definition of frivolous is something that has little value or importance or is silly or trivial.
- An example of frivolous is purchasing something you don't need.
- An example of frivolous is a burglar suing a home owner for shooting them while breaking into their home.
Buying things you don't need is being frivolous.
- of little value or importance; trifling; trivial
- not properly serious or sensible; silly and light-minded; giddy: a frivolous remark, a frivolous youth
- having no basis in law because of the lack of sound legal arguments, facts, etc. or not brought to court in good faith
Origin of frivolousMiddle English ; from frivol (; from Old French frivole ; from Classical Latin frivolus, fragile, silly, akin to friare: see friable) + -ous
- Unworthy of serious attention; trivial: a frivolous novel.
- Inappropriately silly: a frivolous purchase.
Origin of frivolousMiddle English, probably from Latin frīvolus, of little value, probably from friāre, to crumble.
(comparative more frivolous, superlative most frivolous)
From Latin frīvolus (“silly, empty, trifling, frivolous, worthless”).
frivolous - Legal Definition