The definition of silly is foolish or stupid.
An example of silly is a play with no real purpose or meaning.
- simple; plain; innocent
- feeble; infirm; helpless
- Now Rare feebleminded; imbecile
- having or showing little sense, judgment, or sobriety; foolish, stupid, absurd, ludicrous, irrational, etc.: often used in a weakened sense to mean “unreasonably concerned”: don't be silly, it's no bother
- frivolous or trivial
- Informal dazed or senseless, as from a blow
Origin of sillyMiddle English seli, sili (with shortened vowel), good, blessed, innocent ; from Old English sælig, happy, prosperous, blessed (akin to German selig, blessed) ; from sæl, happiness ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sel-, favorable, in good spirits (from source Classical Greek hilasia, propitiation, hilaros, cheerful, merry, Classical Latin solari, to comfort); sense development: happy uncertain or unknown; perhaps blissful uncertain or unknown; perhaps unaware of reality uncertain or unknown; perhaps foolish
a silly person
- Having or exhibiting a lack of good judgment or common sense; foolish. See Synonyms at foolish.
- Lacking seriousness or responsibleness; frivolous: indulged in silly word play; silly pet names for each other.
- Semiconscious; dazed: knocked silly by the impact.
Origin of sillyMiddle English seli, silli, blessed, innocent, hapless, from Old English gesælig, blessed.
(comparative sillier, superlative silliest)
- (archaic) Pitiable; deserving of compassion; helpless.
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
- A fourth man, in a silly habit.
- John Milton (1608-1674)
- All that did their silly thoughts so busy keep.
- Foolish, showing a lack of good sense and wisdom; frivolous, trifling.
- I made a very silly mistake.
- The newlyweds called each other silly little nicknames.
- Irresponsible, showing irresponsible behaviors.
- What a silly kid, he's always getting in trouble.
- Semiconscious, witless.
- The impact of the ball knocked him silly.
- (cricket) Of a fielding position, very close to the batsman; closer than short.
- (pejorative) Simple, not intelligent, unrefined.
- John was prosperous and his helpless, silly father could be of no use to him.
- Robynson (More's Utopia)
- A silly, innocent hare murdered of a dog.
- (colloquial) A silly person; a fool.
- (colloquial) A mistake.