- any soft, easily eaten food; esp.,
- Historical thick, boiled oatmeal or flour
- a soft custard or blancmange
- meaningless flattery or silly talk
Origin of flummeryWelsh llymru, soured oatmeal from llymus, of a sharp quality
- Meaningless or deceptive language; humbug.
- a. Any of several soft, sweet, bland foods, such as custard.b. A sweet gelatinous pudding made by straining boiled oatmeal or flour.c. A soft dessert of stewed, thickened fruit, often mixed with a grain such as rice.
Origin of flummeryWelsh llymru soft jelly from sour oatmeal
Welsh llymru, a jelly derived from oatmeal