- The definition of practical is sensible or usable.
An example of practical is a plan to set aside some portion of a generous income to buy an affordable car.
- of, exhibited in, or obtained through practice or action: practical knowledge
- usable; workable; useful and sensible: practical proposals
- designed for use; utilitarian
- concerned with the application of knowledge to useful ends, rather than with theory, speculation, etc.: practical science
- given to, or experienced from, actual practice: a practical farmer
- of, concerned with, or dealing realistically and sensibly with everyday activities, work, etc.
- that is so in practice, whether or not in theory, law, etc.; virtual
- matter-of-fact; prosaic
Origin of practicalpractic + -al
- Of, relating to, governed by, or acquired through practice or action, rather than theory or speculation: gained practical experience of sailing as a deck hand.
- Manifested in or involving practice: practical applications of calculus.
- Capable of or suitable to being used or put into effect; useful: practical knowledge of Japanese. See Usage Note at practicable.
- Concerned with the production or operation of something useful: Woodworking is a practical art.
- Having or showing good judgment; sensible: If we're practical, we can do the job quickly.
- Being actually so in almost every respect; virtual: The snowstorm was a practical disaster.
Origin of practicalMiddle English practicale, from Medieval Latin prācticālis, from prāctica, practice; see practicable.
- prac′ti·cal′i·ty , prac′ti·cal·ness
(comparative more practical, superlative most practical)
- Based on practice or action rather than theory or hypothesis
- Jack didn't get an engineering degree, but has practical knowledge of metalworking.
- Being likely to be effective and applicable to a real situation; able to be put to use
- Jack's knowledge has the practical benefit of giving us useful prototype parts.
- Of a person, having skills or knowledge that are practical
- All in all, Jack's a very practical chap
From practic +â€Ž -al